I like the expression – drinking for a fire hose. Below is an example:
One reason for liking this express is at the second I am writing this post outside and it is 93 degrees, but two because the statement explains very well the image of someone dealing with something new that they have never done before.
One of the odd things about AP Automation is, true the people in your company that implement automation know accounts payable and it is also true that they know your accounting processes but the problem is they don’t know AP Automation.
There Is A Difference?
Yep… there is a difference. You can’t expect to automate your current paper AP process because you would lose about 50 – 60% of the benefit of Accounts Payable Automation, so I have decided to write a “to do” list to help you people who are brave enough to take the plunge (note: each to do has a few links to previous articles to help explain).
- First thing to do is to make sure you have accommodated for the change to your process.
- 8 Practices For Effective Approval Changes – #APAutomation
- There is a Calm Before the AP Automation Change
- The next thing to do is to make sure you have gotten everyone involved that needs to be involved to make the change
- The third thing to do is to make sure you have picked the right service provider
- Lastly make sure that you are constantly evaluating your progress. I like to coach people who AP Automation is a process not an event.
The four to-dos may seem basic, and I have on occasions been labeled as someone who constantly points out the obvious, but that criticism comes from those that are in the know. If you don’t know AP Automation, and assume you do (because you know AP) then you are setting yourself up for a lot of work and re-work.
Want to know more? Buy My Books!
To buy the book – The Argument to Automate – How Innovation Can INSPIRE Not Fire – click here to buy
(Also) To get your copy of The 8 Pitfalls of Accounts Payable Automation – click here to buy
How about a children’s book? The Princess and the Paper – click here to buy